Rust doesn’t have to be a problem. That antique water pump that belonged to your Grandpa may look nasty, but it can be quickly restored to its like-new condition. EVAPO-RUST® is an environmentally safe water-based product that removes rust in minutes, without scrubbing or sanding. It’s non-toxic, biodegradable, and easy to use. This rust remover is safe for all ferrous metals and won’t harm wood, plastic, or other metals, so it is safe to renew and restore antiques.
Steps to Renew and Restore Antiques
The beauty of EVAPO-RUST® is that you soak, rinse, and reuse. It requires no special equipment and doesn’t give off any bad fumes or odors. Follow these steps to renew and restore antiques:
- It is best to remove excess dirt and oil before soaking.
- Use a plastic container large enough that your antique item will be submerged. If your piece is too big for a bath, we recommend breaking it down into smaller parts or using Evapo-Rust® Gel, which adheres to vertical surfaces. You can also brush it onto your item.
- Pour Evapo-Rust® over the item until it is completely covered. Let it soak for 30 minutes for light rust or up to overnight for extremely heavy rust. Remove the item from the container and rinse with water. If deep rust remains in pits, re-immerse the item until all the rust is gone. Un-rusted metal will not be affected. NOTE: This stage is crucial to obtain the best results.
- To prevent flash rusting, dip the item back into clean Evapo-Rust®. Then allow it to air dry to prevent rust for up to two weeks.
- To prevent future rust, apply a coat of Rust-Block to protect your antique item for up to one year.
- Evapo-Rust® can be used over and over, so pour it back into the container.
Click here to watch this short video for more information about how to use Evapo-Rust® to renew and restore antiques and other items.