Our team at EVAPO-RUST® takes rust seriously. We are proud of our cars, tools, and gear, so keeping them in good condition is a top priority. Follow the steps below to protect with RUST-BLOCK™ and keep your prized possessions ready for action.
Maintenance Prevents Rust
Let’s use vehicles as an example. The salt and minerals used to treat icy roadways can wreak major havoc on your car. Rust is like plaque on your teeth. Just like we need to go to the dentist to stop the build-up from causing problems with our teeth, you need to protect your car from the build-up of rust. If dust and debris are accumulating on the surface of your vehicle, it’s time for a preventative cleaning to scour the rust. The good news is you can repair most automotive rust at home with just a few simple tools.
To better protect your vehicle, take the following steps:
- Check for scrapes or nicks regularly. Rust loves exposed metal. Use a small piece of sandpaper to smooth the surface of the scrape.
- Deep clean. Wash your car frequently, even in the winter, especially the undercarriage, where grime, salt, and rust can build up without you noticing. Wheel wells, undercarriages, doors, and trunks are all hot spots for rust.
- Apply RUST-BLOCK™. Spray or wipe it on the surface of any exposed metal.
- Touch up nicks and scrapes with a coat of primer, automotive paint, and sealant.
Protect & Prevent Rust During Storage
Say you’re in the middle of a project, and you need to step away for a few weeks. For example, you want to store your lovingly restored 1967 Ford Mustang over the winter. You don’t want to come out to your car to see rusty rotors. What should you do?
If you don’t have time to paint or prime, use it to prevent rusting for up to 12 months until you have time to continue with your project. When you’re ready to paint, rinse with warm water and dry thoroughly. It’s easy to remove and will not cause problems with paint adhering to the metal.
Spray the rotors to protect with RUST-BLOCK™. It’s safe to use on all metals, and it will prevent rusting. When you come back in the spring, your car will look the same as when you stored it.
Preserve Tools & Other Gear
- Spray, immerse or wipe RUST-BLOCK™ on your tools or gear. It is available in aerosol or trigger sprayer.
- Let dry. RUST-BLOCK™ dries at the same rate as water, leaving a thin, non-tacky, invisible film that inhibits rust for up to a year.
- When you are ready to remove the invisible coating, rinse it away with warm water. Then your item is ready to paint, primer or oil.
What can I use it on?
RUST-BLOCK™ is safe to use on all metals, polymers, plastics, coatings, and most paints. You can use it on auto parts, tools, sporting goods, grills, hardware, lawn tools, garden equipment, and more. When you protect with RUST-BLOCK™ it will be covered for up to one year.
When I protect items with RUST-BLOCK™, should I remove them before treating the metal with a coating or paint?
Yes, most coatings bond with the metal. RUST-BLOCK™ should be removed before any other coatings are applied. You can rinse it off with water and dry the parts before adding a different coating.
Are there any conditions that will affect the performance of RUST-BLOCK™?
RUST-BLOCK™ is a water-based rust inhibitor designed for indoor use. If exposed to water, the water will weaken and/or remove the protective coating. Keep items treated with RUST-BLOCK™ away from direct contact with water.
Protect with RUST-BLOCK™
RUST-BLOCK™ protects your items from rusting for up to one year. This revolutionary water-based rust inhibitor works on all ferrous metals. It’s ideal for our home or shop. Check out this Evapo-Rust Tip of the Week Video using RUST-BLOCK™.